Monday, February 11, 2008

SKEINING PHOTOS


I have my computer back so here are some photos of my skeining setup. The top picture is an overview of the setup. This is the corner of my sewing room that I have reserved for such activities. You can see a bit of my sewing machine (covered) on the left.

The yarn runs from the cone holder at the bottom of the picture, through the measuring device on the brown table (largely obscured by the cone of gold yarn) to the skein winder (partially wound) sitting on the white shelving unit.


Here is a closer view of the yarn going from the yardage measurer to the skein winder. The left-handed gardening glove glove sitting on the table is a necessary accessory. I wear it on my left hand. I hold that hand over the yarn coming from the yardage measurer to the skein winder to make sure that it goes where it should on the winder and also to ensure an even tension. The silk is very fine and very strong. It would eventually cut into my skin if I did not protect it with a glove.

The thermos coffee cup on the back left side of the table is equally necessary.


This is a photo of the first 100 yards wound onto the skein winder. I have spread them apart a bit. However, I need to push them back as far as possible after each 100 yards. If I don't, the legs of the winder will begin to bow a bit (or a lot) because of the strength of the silk.

This is the same thing that can happen when winding a warp on a warping board. The yarn must be kept to the back or the pegs will start to bend and the warp you wind will consequently grow shorter and shorter. For a skein that is to be dyed to grow shorter and shorter is absolute disaster. Yes, it has happened to me and I'd just as soon forget about it!


This last image is a closeup of the skein I am winding. Four groups of 100 each are tied off. The two at the back look smaller than the one in the front only because those yarns have been pushed firmly to the back of the winder. The third group is invisible because the fifth group that I just wound on ending up being wound on top of the previous group group four.

If you click on the image (you may also have to scroll to the right), you can just see bits of the invisible third group.

Once I tie this last group, it will be arranged at the front. Then I will push the whole group as far back as I can so I can continue winding the skein.

Now it should be clearer how these yarns can get cuddly with one another.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

That is a beautiful skiener, a really useful tool especially with the yardage measurer.

Thanks for the warning about bending warping board pegs. Last time I prepared a warp I wound on as much warp as fitted on the pegs - I had a feeling this wasn't a good idea, but wasn't sure why. I shall go back to winding just 2 inches of warp at a time.

By the way, I'm still thinking more about weaving than I am actually doing any weaving, but I am getting closer to being ready to write about it.