Friday, February 22, 2008

LOOSE ENDS ONTHE GOKO


Looking carefully at the photo of this skein on the Goko shows some loose threads wandering around. If you look really carefully you can even see one at the top left-side of the skein just wandering over the nicely grouped yarns.

The threads are not loose in the sense of being free. I can follow them around the skein and they are nicely included in each of the tied groups. What has happened is that they have become longer than the rest of the skein.

When I arrange the threads on the Goko, getting them all aligned, I can see that there is a lot of slight looseness in general, that the skein is not wound exactly evenly.

WARP BEAMING ISSUES

It's not unlike what happens when you beam a warp. Normally when I come to the end after beaming, I find that the warp ends, which all had supposedly been even, are now a bit uneven. This happens because I do not wind each end on the warping board with the same exact tension. Fortunately I come close. (Un?)fortunately I am human.

TOO-FRIENDLY YARNS

This does not normally create a problem for me in the weaving. And these loose ends on the Goko did not create any real problems in winding the cone. What happens is that every once in awhile, a yarn will have caught onto another yarn. They will have become just too friendly! One or both of these yarns are a bit looser than the rest. Usually just winding separates them. If they have formed a really close friendship, I have to take my hands and pull them apart.

SMALL GROUPS OF YARN THE KEY

This sort of thing had always happened to me frequently and regularly. So frequently and so regularly that I always dreaded winding the dyed skeins onto cones. Clearly the tyeing off into very small groups of 100 ends has done the trick.

When I warp fine silk, I make very small bouts, 60-90 ends each when I am warping at about 60 epi. The small bouts there also solved the issue of yarns that became too friendly as I beamed on.

No comments: