...until I noticed that the dark green I had dyed, the same day as I was dyeing the magentas, was not dark green. I had made another one of my arithmetical errors.
1% DOS VERSUS 4% DOS
My intention was to dye that particular green at 4% depth of shade. That is very dark. Most dyers would not go over 4% unless they were dyeing black. I looked at the numbers I was using. It turns out that I was actually dyeing at 1% depth of shade. That should, and indeed did, yield a fairly light green.
MAKING THE DYEING TIME WORTHWHILE
The idea of spending all that time to dye just a small bit of yarn got to me. So I decided that I would dye 200 yards instead of 50 yards. That is the amount I should have dyed in the first place because, if it works as I think it will, I will be using it as a major color, not as an accent.
I also decided I really did need a full-fledged scarlet. So I went with the pure Sabraset Scarlet and dyed 200 yards of that as well. Here is a picture of said scarlet simmering in the dye. You can just see to the right of it the dark green. And it is dark....... Just what I wanted.
Related Post: I Really Ought Not To Be A Dyer