Friday, July 11, 2008

CUTTING OFF: PART I

I decided I needed to cut off the three art pieces I had woven.  Why?

  • I wanted to be able to analyze what I had done so far in order to figure out where I wanted  to go with the rest of this warp.
  • I am thinking of submitting the third piece to a weaving show.

Because I want to continue to weave on the remaining warp I would have to retie it on to the front beam.  This is a bit of a bother, so instead I decided to use Peggy Osterkamp's technique of cutting off the cloth as you go.  She describes this technique in Warping Your Loom and Tying on New Warps.  The book is available at a number of places, including Camilla Valley Farms.  Scroll down the page to find its description.

FIRST STEPS

First Steps

  1. First I wove in a few shots of yellow pearl cotton.  I did this to give me something hard to beat against to push down the hemstitching firmly into the woven fabric.
  2. Then I wove in several shots of white rug warp for what will be the fringe.
  3. Finally I wove about one inch of finish wool.  This weaving is supposed to be plain weave, but since plain weave is impossible on this warp, I just continued with the polychrome treadling.  And I wove with wool because of wool's stickiness.

© 2008 

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

That looks like a neat and useful technique. I'm sure you'll post a follow up later when you finish your items on this warp?

Peg in South Carolina said...

Dorothy, oh yes, more to come!

Leigh said...

I've got this book, but to be honest, I've never really looked at it. Now I'm motivated to do so. I have used Peggy Osterkamp's method of cutting off, but I'm always willing to look at something new.