Wednesday, April 2, 2008

TWIST AT LEASE STICKS



Here is a picture of one of the bouts that actually got twisted at the lease sticks. I had not seen this until I started the process of raddling. The bout that is twisted is on the right. I removed one of the lease sticks, untwisted the bout and slipped the lease stick back in.

The lease stick I removed was the lower one.

THE COUNTING THREAD TIE

The yellow counting thread is the counting thread I tied loosely on the bout as I was making the warp. I tied a bow knot in it before I removed it. This knot tells me which way the bouts go on the lease sticks and rod.

BOW KNOTS FACE ONE DIRECTION

In this case, I decided to have them all the knots face towards the right. To keep this particular one facing right, I had to remove the lower lease stick and straighten the twist there.

Doing this is probably what caused the bout to be then twisted on the rod.

On this particular warp I had no concern with what way the knots faced. I had no concern with the order of the warps. It is a solid color warp. Had I used stripes and the stripes were in a particular order, the knots would be important.

WHY BOTHER?

So, then, why did I bother with the knots? Habit. If I do this with every warp, I will probably not forget to do it when it is important.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Excellent information Peg. And I agree about habit! Makes things so much less confusing in the long run.