Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Green Plus Red-Violet

Amount woven yesterday: 4"
Amount woven to date: 3 yards + 17.5"

It's a little hard to tell from this picture, but it looks like there are two possible browns here. On the far right is a slightly reddish brown. To the left of it is what seems to be a very neutral brown.

Dye sampling can be very addictive. Sometimes the only thing that really forces me to bring it to an end is the amount of time I need to be on my feet. That's not as easy as it used to be! But I figure that it is also good for me. After the first ten minutes I am not just standing but moving around. I do little things like put the dishes away, make a note of something, make the bed, all things that take little time and allow me to go back frequently to check the time and temperature.

Dye sampling is addictive because it is just so much fun to see the colors. Not just the final colors but the colors as they develop in the dye pot.

Last night I looked at a quilting book which focuses on color. It is by Joen Wolfrom and is called Visual Coloring. For those who feel insecure about using color, she has an interesting suggetion. Get together a bunch of magazines and flip through them. When you see a picture whose colors appeal to you, stop but don't think. Just cut it out. Keep doing that. Don't analyze. Be quick and intuitive in your choices. Save them.

These pictures will give you a clue about the colors that really speak to you. When you are ready to begin a project, come back to these pictures you cut out. Flip through them. Pick the one that speaks to you and begin your designing with those colors. Those are the colors that, at that moment, speak to you the most.

I think this is a really good way to begin. It is very much how I begin. I begin with the colors that really speak to me.

If I could avoid it, I would absolutely not weave with colors I don't like. And since I weave for myself alone, I have that freedom of choice. But it seems that all colors speak to me. Whatever colors I am currently working on tend to be my current favorites. Well, there are some I do dislike. Baby pinks and blues, except on babies. Gray them a bit and I like them. I actually did buy a light blue shirt and a pink shirt. I love them. I get lots of compliments on them, primarily, I think, because people are so surprised to see me wearing such colors. And they really are grayed just a bit. I dislike neon colors. They have their place but not in my work!

I tend to live in khaki pants and shorts and pair them with various colored tee shirts. Right now I am in black phase with tee shirts. But I have lots of warm colors. Reds, oranges, yellows. I realized my lack of cool colors as I was knitting a pair of deep teal socks. I am going to remedy that in my tee shirts. I definitely need some blues. I don't care for violet on me. I don't know why, especially since I do love the color. Pure green I tend not to like. But blue greens, yellow greens, grayed greens, they are all wonderful. All that green needs is a tiny bit of blue to take the green edge off and then a tiny bit of its opposite and I am happy. Though even in silk pure unadulterated green is beautiful. What can I say? I really do love colors. I especially love colors in silk

No comments: