Friday, August 22, 2008

SAMPLING FOR NEXT ART PIECE

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

The last sampling woven, I decided I still wasn't finished.  I wanted to see what would happen if I used a pattern color on only one treadle for each block.  Alternating the pink and yellow in the last sample, while I liked the effect, turned out to be a bit confusing in terms of understanding just what is going on.  So with this sample I used only one pattern color: pale yellow.

sampling for art piece 5

I began with the pale yellow on treadle 3 for the first block at the bottom (just above the white rug filler weft).  Then with each consecutive block I treadled yellows 4 through 8 but finishing, at the top, with the yellow on treadle 3 once again.

Also, I used a medium-dark blue for the rest of the treadles.  Enough of the last sample is visible at the bottom, which used a medium dark-green for the background wefts, to reveal clearly the different effect the two different background colors have.

I had intended this particular sample to be simply a general informational sample, as was the previous sample.  And, indeed it is.  When I was done, I planned to remove everything I had woven thus far so that I could study more carefully these last two sample warps.  Study these would help me decide what I wanted to do with the next art piece.

When I finished weaving this particular sample, however, I realized that I had right there the information I needed for the next art piece.  So I studied it carefully and thought; now I know what I want to do.   Subject, of course, to my ever changeable and fickle mind...........

PHOTOGRAPHY NOTE

I did learn how to turn off (and on) the flash.  I can do it right on the body of the camera......

Related PostUnexpected Sampling

""Sampling for Next Art Piece" was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on August 22, 2008.    © 2008 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way this round of sampling is turning out. And I like your copyright statement too!

Peg in South Carolina said...

There was a long post on one of the blogging blogs I subscribe to, and I decided to use his footer, modified slightly. And thank you for your nice words about the sample!