I have wound the latest dyed reds on bobbins. Here they are.
The first one I wound off was again a mess. Since there was not a lot of yardage, the mess didn't last very long. So I decided to try some things.
THINGS I TRIED
1. Jerking and Pulling.
I put my hands in the next skein and pulled and jerked it hard. I kept moving my hands and jerking and pulling. I always do that but not with this kind of vengeance. Winding off went fairly well.
The next skein went WITHOUT ONE HITCH! And the next one as well. This is a world record for me.
2. Fiddling with Loose Yarns.
The fourth skein had loose yarns dangling all over the place, all, however, properly caught in their figure-of-eight ties. So, in addition to pulling and jerking I stopped and played around with the particular area were there were loose ends This area of the skein also contained a lot of rat's nests. When there seemed to be some improvement I put it on the skein winder and continued working with those ends and trying to free up the yarns caught in the rat's nests.
3. Beginning and End of Skeins
I then focused my attention on the beginning and end of that particular skein. Usually when I tie the two ends of a skein together, I just encircle the whole width of the skein and tie again. This time, for at least some of them, I decided to do figure-of-eights with them. This, I began to think, might be where at least some of the trouble is.
I started one end on the bobbin and I wrapped the other end around one of the wings of the skein winder on the side of the skein where it came from. I slowly wound onto the bobbin, watching the yarn on the skein winder carefully. YES! It got snagged by its opposite end. Several times.
So, smarty that I am, I moved that opposite end to the other side of the skein. IT STILL GOT SNAGGED! I tried putting it in the middle. Still no dice. So I wound slowly, turn by turn.
At least I may have figured out one thing that could be a cause---the way I am tying the ends again. I will not do figure-of-eights with those ends anymore.
Related Post: Unskeining to Bobbin Problem