Thursday, December 6, 2007

Crackle Pleats?

Dorothy got me thinking. She has just published an interesting post on creating pleats while weaving. You can read it here.

I have read about this technique a number of times. It turns up in a lot of the weaving literature. But the idea has only brought a yawn from me. Something about Dorothy's piece, however, intrigued me.

I think what intrigued me was the description of her process, including good pics. I started to think: crackle pleats? I put this in a comment on her post, but meant it as little more than a small joke, since I am so enmeshed in crackle.

Maybe I shouldn't consider it as a joke? I have put it in my folder of ideas..............

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

I suspect that idea is worth looking at sometime, if I'm right that the pleats form due to the reversing of tension in the weave, I think there are a few other weave structures with potential for pleats e.g. satin/sateen, and therefore satin based weaves, and other twill structures.