Here is a photo of the sampler piece that I saved to do some washing experiments on. I washed and hard-pressed the sample two times.
What totally surprised me was how fine and drapeable this little piece is. There is no feeling of the warp having been sett too far apart. Looking at the figures explains this unexpected result.
At the reed, the width of the fabric on the loom was 36.5"
The width on the loom, measured at the front, was 34.0"
The width off the loom was 33.0"
The width after the first washing in hot water and drying on perm press setting was 32.5"
The width after the second washing in hot water and hot dry was 32.25"
The total shrinkage in the width was 4.25" The total shrinkage in the with was a bit more than 10%
The length on the loom was 7.25"; the length after the first and second washings was 7.0" That is less than 5%.
I also computed the epi in the plain weave section. The epi turned out to be 34, in contrast to the weaving sett of 30 epi.
I also measured the picks per inch in that section,. The ppi turned out to be 32.
I find it humbling to hold finished cloth up to the light to see how evenly I managed to treadle. Perhaps I would be better to say, how UNevenly I treadle. Really humbling. And the cloth always looks like window screening. Here is a photo of that fabric, before washing, taped to a window:
And here is another photo of the same fabric, but after the final washing and pressing:
The closing up of the "window screening" is quite obvious. Also, the imperfections in the treadling have disappeared.
I have hopes for the fabric once I have mended, washed, ironed................ But, I will have to rethink what I was planning to make. A somewhat fitted jacket will no longer do. The jacket must be much looser and more fluid.