Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Evaluating Art

Yesterday I mentioned what I consider the terrifying temptation to show off my work and why I try to resist it. After I had posted that piece, I found a piece from Robert Genn in my email box. There he wrote about evaluating art. This is what he said:

"As all evaluation systems are suspect, there's another way for creative people to approach the game. Pay no attention to what anybody thinks. Set your own standards. Paddle your own canoe. This includes not putting yourself at the mercy of kangaroo courts. Simply become your own jury and prize-giver. The real prize comes to the artist when the work is made, and if it's truly worthy and anyone wants to vote for it down the line, maybe they'll track you down."

I rather wish he had not put in that last "if" clause.

No comments: