Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A PROBLEM WITH CRACKLE DRAFT

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

Anyone who has read this blog for awhile knows that numbers are definitely not my thing.  My mind can get so muddled and confused, especially when dealing with dyeing matters.  But clearly weaving matters on the so-called drawing board also are difficult for my poor head to wrap around.  Witness what I thought was getting close to my final draft.
My blocks alternating treadles 2 colors 2

The first thing to realize is that those solid green vertical lines represent only lines separating the larger threading block groups.  When I did the threading, I left a few empty spaces in the threading between block groups.  This makes it easier for me to keep track of what I am doing.

Also, I absent-mindedly included a once-planned border on the right side.  That is the narrow horizontal strip off to the right separated from the rest by a narrow band of green.  So forget about that, too!

The center is fine.  The left side is fine.  But the right side?  Oh dear.  Why I didn’t see this before, I have no idea.  But I sure see clearly now that the right side does NOT mirror the left side…………   Sigh……………….

I printed out the threading and checked it for the blocks.  I immediately found the problem.  The blocks on the right side were definitely not the mirror image of those on the left.  Almost.  Not quite.  Not quite doesn’t count. How on earth could that have happened?!?! 

Because I liked what was happening on the left side but not on the right side, I redid the threading blocks on the right side.  I left the threading on the left side alone. 
image
What an improvement!  But there is still work to be done.






A Problem with Crackle Draft“ was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on September 29, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.

2 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

At least you found the problem now and not on the loom! It is looking good........

Peg in South Carolina said...

I'm sure i will find my very own special problems on the loom..........!