Tuesday, September 8, 2009

LONG FLOATS IN CRACKLE AND ACCIDENTALS

Posted by Peg in South Carolina
I did discover some long floats as I was looking at the last draft.  Floats in crackle are limited to floats of 3.  But I found several spots where there were floats of 4 or 5.  I looked at the threading and discovered that they happened at the place where I moved from one threading unit to another.  So in these particular places I had to insert an extra warp end between the two blocks. 
In crackle these extra warp ends are called accidentals.  The need for them in crackle is common, especially when moving from one block to a block which does not follow in straight twill sequence.  For example, moving from block A to B to C and so forth in straight twill order does not generally require these extra accidental ends.  But moving from block A to block C or block D, for example, might require one.
I  wrote a post two years ago about these. I titled the post, unfortunately, Crackle: the Incidental Threads. The term “incidental” is incorrect;  the term should be “accidental.”

Long Floats and Accidentals” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on September 8, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.

No comments: