Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A NEW THREADING: MORE SAMPLING

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

cracl;e treadled twill order from a distance I took this photo and zoomed way out. Then I copied it and treated it as a separate photo. I wanted to get some idea of what this will look like as fabric when it is off the loom….when it is no longer window screening.

Can you guess the structure?

 

Perhaps this photo might make it easier to figure out the structure.

crackle treadled in twill sequence

A clue:  the thin red threads are tabby threads.

P.S.  I’m not sure I could guess the structure on the basis of these photos!  It’s not the photos per se that is the problem.  It is the change of warp colors from blue to light gray back to blue again.


"A New Threading: More Sampling" was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on January 28, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

3 comments:

Janet said...

I'm gonna have to go with crackle on this one. I'm not sure, mind you - those stripes make it difficult like you say and I'm only just becoming acquainted with it - but I'm reassured by the label on the post... ;)

Dorothy said...

Hi Peg, I'm also wondering where I might be going - but I guess I do have some ideas of what interests me and shall follow them.

I like the way you say that crackle chose you, isn't it interesting how an idea can seize your attention like that? The way you phrase that comment makes it sound as though crackle weave is alive :)

Peg in South Carolina said...

Janet, congratulations! I thought about not putting in the label, but then I thought, I wonder how many people even notice the labels!
Dorothy, as you might guess, my phrasing was purposeful. And yes, crackle is very much a live thing! I hope that you find your current pursuit also to be a live thing!