Saturday, January 17, 2009

CANVAS WEAVE SAMPLING DONE

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

Sample Weaving almost done Here are the last three samples I wove.  In the first picture is what I would consider the traditional canvas weave treadling.  In the bottom I have used blue for the overshot wefts and light gray for the pseudo-tabby.  On the top I have reversed the colors.

The second picture is the same treadling but here the colors are split up with a shot of blue and a shot of light gray both in the overshot and also in the pseudo-tabby.Last of the sampling

My source for most of these treadlings has been from The Handweaver’s Pattern Directory by Anne Dixon.  Also helpful has been Donna Muller’s Handwoven Laces. Muller’s book has been especially helpful for helping me understand the structure of 8-shaft canvas weave and so in convincing me that 4-shaft canvas is what I really wanted, not 8-shaft. 

Now what I have woven comes off the loom to be wet-finished.  And then what?

I  had thought of tying on a very short warp of the handspun, enough to give me maybe 6” of width.  But then I decided against it. I have to admit that my laziness is cutting in here.  But it is not just laziness.  I want to use every last bit of the handspun I have for the shawl.

Tying on a narrow bit of the handspun would be the prudent way to go. But I am going to take the risk of not doing it.

Unless the washing reveals something new about the fabric, I am either going to use the red-orange for the warp and weave with the dark green, or bands of red-orange and dark green and weave with both colors.

Which treadling will I use?  I won’t make a decision until after I wash these samples.  And then I will use the beginning of the handspun warp to sample just a bit.

What about all the remaining warp on the loom?  Tune in later and find out!

"Canvas Weave Sampling Done" was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on January 17, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Now it is your turn to tempts me with books I haven't got! As I am trying NOT to buy books this year I shall instead write a list of the ones I'd like, and Donna Muller's book is going on the list. I wish I'd bought it before it went out of print.

Laritza said...

I had forgotten Handwoven Laces the book! Thanks for reminding me. I bought FW, of course I had played with the demo and loved it. Now it is mine! all mine and I can do whatever I want. I have a batch of red hand spun yarn that was going to be a knitted shawl. I am tempted by one of the "historical weaving drafts" we shall see what it becomes. Weaving with my own hand spun yarn is one of the things I enjoy the most.

Peg in South Carolina said...

Dorothy, it is so hard not to buy books! Muller's book has now goneout of print twice.
Laritza, I enjoy about weaving with handspun. The result is a piece of weaving that simply cannot be duplicated.