Posted by Peg in South Carolina
I have been slowly weaving away on the last of this crackle warp. I had said in an earlier post that I was going to do something quite different. I decided to use golden yellow as the background weft and reds and blues as the pattern wefts.
In that earlier post the word I used was “ridiculous.” I thought this was going to be, but it didn’t quite turn out that way.
The results have actually turned out to be quite striking. And, much to my surprise, these experiments have proved to have a great deal of promise.
I had worked hard to get the photo to show the color accurately. I thought I had it, but when I brought it into my blog writer, things changed.
The right side appears brighter than the left. That is because there are windows to the right. And I do not know how to correct that kind of an issue with my software.
The bottom half of the photo reads fairly accurately. Where the problems begin is on the other side of the middle, just after the two blocks with first pretty solid purple in the middle and then on the sides. Then the photo just shows either red (totally wrong) or a rather washed-out violet for the areas treadled with blue. What it did not want to do was to show the rather deep violet that occurred when the blue crossed the red.
BACK TO THE TREADLING
At the bottom I have continued to weave in the style of the earlier experiments. Of the 6 treadles, I have selected one for the pattern color and thrown that shot twice.
In the first group at the bottom, I have used red, thrown twice, for the pattern. Immediately above I have reversed the order of the pattern treadles and used blue thrown twice on the pattern treadle.
Where the more solid color dark blue is visible across the web at about the middle of the woven part of the warp, I have begun something different. I began treadling 3 through 8 but this time alternating gold and blue on each treadle. First I did a set where I began with gold; then I did a set where I began with blue. Then I moved to two treadles with gold followed by one treadle of blue and woven that for a bit and then the two variants. Then I moved to 3 golds followed by 3 blues, doing that in various treadle sequences.
Near the end of all this, I ran out of the gorgeous golden yarn and had to use a simple, though bright yellow. It is clearly much cooler and creates a very different effect.
A VERY DIFFERENT TREADLING
At the very top is a very different kind of treadling. Instead of treadling pedals 3 through 8, I did an alternation thing:
1,3; 2,4; 3,6; 5,7;
6,8; 7,3; 6,4.
I alternated yellow and blue: yellow on 1, blue on 3 and so on.
When I envisioned this, I was thinking that I was just changing the order of the treadling. What I did not realize was that I was also repeating treadles. So much for my vision. Still, it did work.
MORE (A LITTLE MORE…..) SAMPLING TO COME
What I still need to do is to try the first set of treadlings but treadling the pedals in a different order. That is not going to happen on this warp, however. There is not enough left and there are some other ideas crying to be tried first. And I still have to do something “ridiculous.”
NEXT CRACKLE WARP
One thing I know now: my next crackle warp will have to have a yard at the beginning allotted for sampling. I have already started designing the warp and have included this in my figuring. But I have towels and a shawl to weave first.