Monday, September 15, 2008

2009 INTERNATIONAL SURFACE DESIGN ASSOCIATION CONFERENCE

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

The brochure for Off the Grid arrived recently.  Off the Grid is the title of SDA's 2009 International Surface Design Association Conference.  I looked through the brochure I found a surprising amount of lectures and workshops of possible interest to me.  Here is one that stood out in particular.  I quote directly from the brochure.

Radically Familiar: Fiber as a Fine Art Medium:  Numerous international-level artists make use of textiles but don't identify themselves as fiber artists.  How--and why--do they remain Off the Grid of established craft practice?  In answering these questions, we'll examine the roles of textiles, surface design and concept in contemporary art, and compare the cultures and attitudes of fine craft versus fine art. Let's explore this phenomenon together and discuss the implications for our own work.

The presenter is Bean Gilsdorf.  To learn more about this quilt and installation artist, go here.

This is billed as a lecture lasting one hour and fifteen minutes.  I assume there will be discussion.  It seems like a dreadfully short time to discuss such a complex and difficult issue.  Still, I am glad that someone is going to try to address this issue head on.

The workshop that particularly interested me is a four-day pre-conference workshop taught by David Brackett, called The Woven Image.  Here is the statement from the brochure:

The Woven Image: Learn to translate you hand-drawn images into a woven surface.  There are many ways for the weaver to manipulate the interlacement of warp and weft to produce images rather than just pattern.  Looms will be dressed in a way that will allow for the exploration of three techniques:  weft brocade, supplemental warp and pick-up double weave.  Specific exercises will be provided, and there will be plenty of opportunity for individual interpretation.

To learn more about David Brackett, go here.

For more information on the conference and on the Surface Design Association  (SDA), go here.

"2009 International Surface Design Association Conference" was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on September , 2008. © 2008 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Peg,
I'm so glad you're interested in my lecture at the SDA conference next year. Thanks for posting the brochure copy on your blog.

You're right---there's so much to talk about there, but I don't mean to imply that we'll be able to wrap the whole issue up in an hour and a quarter! I think we'll be able to cover a lot of ground and hear some different perspectives from the audience.

My interest is in being able to start a discussion of what some new developments mean for the fiber arts/surface design community. I look forward to meeting you there!

Peg in South Carolina said...

Bean, I do wish I could come but I'm afraid that won't be possible. I am glad you are starting this discussion.