Wednesday, October 7, 2009


Posted by Peg in South Carolina

I decided to start with one of the loose-hanging ends.  It wound onto the cone quite smoothly, that is until it stopped because it came to another cut in the yarn.  What I did see, however, is that those loose ends hanging down to the floor in the picture were only a few of the cut ends in the skein.  Unwinding revealed more and more that had been buried in the skein.

I tried another loose end.  This one did not go so well.  So I cut it and decided to go for the other end, the end with the gold 5/2 pearl cotton attached to it.

That wound off just as smoothly as its mate, which I had wound first, did.  And it used up quite a bit of the skein.

Heartened by my success, I took another loose end.  It wound on fine until it came to the end.  There were three more loose ends that I successfully wound on.

And so the skein was unwound. With unexpected ease. All of it on the cone.  With only 10 knots at the most.
Coned 20.2 silk
Now to make sample skeins for dyeing.

Related Post:  A Bad Silk Skein

Follow-up to a Bad Silk Skein“ was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on October 7, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.


Delighted Hands said...

Perserverance always pays off! Great looking skeins!

Peg in South Carolina said...

You are right, Delighted Hands.