Posted by Peg in South Carolina
I finally got the warp lashed on successfully. The next step was to treadle tabbies to discover problems. And there was a problem.
CROSSED WARP ENDS
A bad spot where warp ends were crossed at the reed. It took me three attempts before I finally got it right. I always have problems trying to figure out how to fix this kind of a problem. It always involves experimenting. But I’m much calmer about it that I was. Especially when it occurs in only one place.
The orange you see consists of shots of tabbies in some 60/2 silk I had leftover from another project. Throwing these involved dealing with sheds that did not want to clear big time. Each time I treadled I had to clear the sheds manually before I threw the shuttle. I used a long pickup stick and my hands to clear the sheds. Gradually there were fewer and fewer threads blocking the sheds.
I have a cosmetics mirror standing on a table next to the loom, positioned so that I can see through the sheds from one end to the other. I used to use two mirrors, one on each side of the loom. I broke one of the mirrors. And now I’m finding that one mirror is sufficient.
STARTING TO TEST-WEAVE CRACKLE
When things started settling down a bit, I started weaving crackle. It’s not very visible here but I was throwing shots of blue 60/2 silk pattern weft alternating with shots of orange 120/2 silk for the tabby wefts. Again, lots of clearing of sheds. But slowly in got to the point where strumming the top of warp would clear the sheds and I would need need only a few ends to clear.
I still have two more sheds to work on till they start clearing more easily.
It is typical for my silk warps to take a bit of weaving before the clearing of sheds really settles out. Maybe five or six inches. In any case, right now I am going to use this test weaving, so to speak, for trying out part of the treadling design I have worked out, and trying different ways of using colors in the treadling. I will continue to use leftover yarn, partly because I still have to wind the bobbins for this warp. But also, I think it will be kind of fun to try using wildly different and unplanned colors just to see what happens.
I had been worried about how such a wide warp would handle in 60/2 silk. Up till now I have only woven narrow things, generally 10” to 12” wide. I am pleased that this warp is behaving so very well. It is nice to be weaving again!