Thursday, February 4, 2010

A NEW TIE-UP FOR 6-SHAFT CRACKLE

Posted by Peg in South Carolina
I learned early on in my weaving life about the magic of re-arranging the tie-up to make for easier treadling. But my learning stopped dead right there.
When I belonged to the Chattahoochee Handweavers Guild in Atlanta, one of the very gifted and experienced weavers used to talk about designing in the tie-up.  I never understood this.  I never even understood it when she tried to explain it in the most simplified way possible to a group of us. 
I was an idiot.  Or at least I was not ready to learn.
I think that the problem was that I didn’t see the tie up as related to shafts rising and falling.  It was just some kind of abstract square stuck in the upper right-hand corner of my drafts. 
And my software even numbers the shafts!  Still, I didn’t get it. 
I didn’t get it quite simply because I did not pay attention to what was happening to the cloth in relation to each lift of the shafts.  I thought in terms of treadles, not in terms of the shafts those treadles were tied to.
I am learning.  It’s not easy!
image

A New Tie-up for 6-Shaft Crackle” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on February 4, 2010. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.

No comments: