Posted by Peg in South Carolina
Today I went back to the loom—at last!—to continue the interminable sleying. Much to my joy I finished sleying the right side. That was all I had intended to do today. But……………..there really wasn’t a whole lot to sley on the left side…………….why don’t I just make a start?
Sleying the left side has been a nightmare, largely because of the threading. On the right side, the loom was threaded such that every 4 threads were pulled from one set of shafts and every other 4 threads were pulled from the second set of shafts. And there are 4 ends in each space.
But on the left side, I clearly did something with the threading. No threading error really shows because the error was in a transition from one block to another. But because of this error, every 4 threads I pull out to sley has 3 ends from one set of shafts and 1 end from the other. That way lies madness. Even my fancy auto sley hook gave me such grief that I had to resort to pulling out only 4 ends at a time and sleying it with an ordinary sley hook.
I did get 16 ends sleyed on the left side and, given a fresh start on another day, I should be able to finish it in one sitting. Hope springs eternal…………..
I do actually have plans for this miserable warp. It had, long long ago, been intended as a shawl for a competition. Forget it. What I am now thinking of is creating some pillows out of it, perhaps cutting it up into patchwork. If I do the patchwork thing, it could possibly work into an interesting vest.
I do hope my imagination returns when I start the actual weaving!
Happy New Year!
Related Post: Pulling My Head out of the Sand