Thursday, April 29, 2010

MY VERSION OF SMITH INCLUDING TREADLING

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

I’VE GOT CURVES
image

This is quite a change from the earlier version. There are no curves in that version. With the change in the treadling, however, I get image curves.  Of course, looking at the treadling shows that the pattern is a curved pattern.  So now both the treadling and the threading have curves built into them. And the version now looks very much like Smith’s.  Smith’s is here:
image

But what are those bright yellow warp lines in both drafts?

ISSUES WITH THE WARP ENDS

In Pixeloom, when I check for floats, the software marks any floats that are longer than the number of ends specified.  The software also gives you an opportunity to mark them. And that is what PixeLoom has done here. Those yellow highlighted lines indicate those places where the warp floats that are too long. 

In my draft, all the floats appear on the warp ends on the fifth shaft.  In Smith’s, they appear on the warp ends on the fourth shaft. 

In the case of Smith’s draft, the floats appear on the right side and so probably cannot be ignored.  Unless something can be changed in the tieup, Smith’s draft will require tabby shots to be thrown.
On the other hand, in the case of my draft, the floats appear on the wrong side, so I could just ignore them if the fabric is going to be seen only on the right side and/or, in the case of fabric for clothing, the underside was underlined, interfaced, or lined so that the inside was protected. 
On my draft I did solve the problem.  I tied up the fifth shaft on the last treadle.  That treadle had only 3 shafts tied up.  Somewhere along the way in my work I had managed to drop off a shaft on that treadle in the tie-up. Probably a careless mouse click somewhere. 

I have a new ergonomic mouse.  And, while the mouse is much easier on my hand, wrist, and arm, there is a learning curve.
imageI am not going to worry about the Smith draft.


My Version of Smith Including Treadling”  was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on April 29, 2010. ©2010 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

2 comments:

Loree Jackson said...

Sorry for my ignorance but what is Pixeloom? I'm guessing it is a software program where you put in the tie up, treadling etc. info and it actually gives you a print out of what the finished piece will look like (instead of having to draw it on graph paper) ??

Peg in South Carolina said...

PixeLoom is a weaving software program. If you Google it, it will bring up the website where you can get more information. Much much easier to use than graph paper when you are working with complicated treadlings and threadings!