Thursday, January 21, 2010

NOT FAIR

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

Having found such an interesting and delightful draft in applying PixeLoom’s tromp-as-writ feature to standard 4-shaft crackle, I just had to……….    Yes, I just had to try it with the draft I am using for my current green crackle project.  And here is the result.

image

It uses only four treadles.  It requires no tabbies.  And…….it’s beautiful!

Just to see what would happen, I used Zielinski’s tie up for six treadles and manually entered in a treadling similar to the one that PixeLoom generated.

image

This uses six treadles.  It does require tabby.  And I like the first one above much better.

Still, I will have to try both when I get the warp on the loom.  Weaving software can only give an approximation of what the piece will look like.

For example, one reason I do like the idea of tabbies (yes, I am truly nuts!), is that in the tabbies I can give hints and glimmers of another color, a very strikingly different color if I so choose, that would look just terrible as a pattern weft but would give some punch in the tabby.  Computer software, so far as I can see, cannot give even a glimpse of such possibilities.  I know about them only from my own actual weaving.


Not Fair” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on January 21, 2010. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.

2 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Truly amazing choices but the green one grabbed my attention. I love the way you have manipulated these blocks!

Peg in South Carolina said...

Thank you, Delighted Hands. Actually, the green ones took me by surprise and attracted my attention as well!