Monday, December 21, 2009

SUMMER WORKSHOP

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

After discussing it with my husband, I had decided to sign up for the Complex Weavers’ Summer workshop being held in Albuquerque this summer.  Then I learned that it had filled up within something like five days of registration having opened.  My husband wanted me to get on the waiting list.  But I figured that the waiting list was already pretty long.

Undaunted, I checked summer workshops in the area where I live.  Not only did I find one.  I found one that I would rather enroll in than Complex Weavers!

It is being held at the J.C. Campbell Folk School. Here is the description of the workshop:

Warp It! Paint It! Weave It!
June 6-12, 2010
Instructor:
Kathie Roig

Want the beauty of a hand-painted warp but don't have the space, time, or equipment? Explore different methods of painting your warp (and perhaps the weft) using fabric paints, spontaneously adding color to yarn for functional or art pieces. Be ready to experiment with color, texture, and weave structure. Students must know how to dress a floor loom. Limited instruction will be given on warping, specific to the warp-painting process.

Does this sound heretical for someone who dyes her yarns?  Actually, I have no intention of stopping dyeing or substituting painting for dyeing.  What I do want to be able to do is to add painting to the dyeing.  There are fabric paints that can do things that dyes cannot do.

I have been thinking about trying this for a long time.  In fact, sitting on my loom right now is a small jar of gold Setacolor by Pebeo that I purchased recently in Asheville, NC.  It is on top of my loom because I am thinking of trying to use it on my upcoming silk crackle piece.

I am now registered for the workshop.


"Summer Workshop” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on December 21, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.

7 comments:

Leigh said...

Lucky you! Have you ever taken a workshop with Kathy? She did a presentation and workshop for the WNC weavers guild. Lots of fun and very informative.

Delighted Hands said...

So happy for you; you will love the company, inspirations and all that you will learn~!

Peg in South Carolina said...

Leigh, no I haven't. Glad to know you liked her.
Thanks, Delighted Hands.

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

Good for you, JC Folk School classes are on my wish list.

Peg in South Carolina said...

Thank you, Deep End. Hope you make it there. I have heard great things about it.

Unknown said...

Peg, I just happened upon your blog tonight, you now how it is, you start on one blog and then that leads to another then another and here I am at yours. I do recognize your name from weave tech as well.
Glad to hear you have signed up for my clas at JCC folk school! I taught it last year and at a couple of guilds. It's a lot of fun...look foward to meeting you!
Kathie Roig

Peg in South Carolina said...

Kathie, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I am very much looking forward to the workshop.