Posted by Peg in South Carolina
This image shows how I transformed the straight drawdown of the previous post into a curved straight drawdown. I did this by gradually increasing the number of treadles in each block in order to produce the semblance of a curve.
I now see an error that I had not seen when I was working in the software. I am missing a block between the first and second blocks. Looking at the drawdown shows just what block I need to insert: the fifth block from the top.
It is interesting how seeing an image in a new context (and after several days!) can point out things seemingly not there before.
Reducing the size of the image, as I have done on the left, gives a better feel for what this curve might look like in the actual weaving. I have not only resized it overall; I have also squished it a bit from top to bottom.
Below is a corrected version of the above draft:
Comparing the two versions shows that I have made some changes in the treadling, as well as getting the treadling blocks right. Instead of each time adding two treadles to each consecutive group, I began adding more treadles.
Before I could use this in my actual weaving, I would have to do two things:
1. I would need to compute my approximate picks per inch and so figure out what the actual height these treadled blocks might be and then make any needed re-calculations.
2. I would need to sample. I am going to allow plenty of room for sampling!
“Designing Curves” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on August 18, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.