Posted by Peg in South Carolina
I got the warp lashed on. I went to the back of the loom to check the tension. And I saw them. Them. Two warp yarns. Two warp yarns hanging loose. Oh my ………… I followed them to the front of the loom. They were in the heddles. They were not in the reed. Nor was there a reed space from which they had fallen out.
I did not take a photo. I was too upset. I just wanted to find out what went wrong and correct it.
This has not happened to me since my first year of weaving. It first occurred when, after a marathon weekend learn-to-weave class at my weaving guild, I put my first warp on my own loom at home. I was aghast but got it fixed.
During my first year of weaving, “losing” warp ends was not an unusual occurrence. The most likely place this happened was in sleying the reed, though it also happened in threading. I learned quickly to keep my eyes open for possible dropped warp ends. Apparently I have gotten a bit lax recently in my watchfulness. By at least the ends dropped while sleying the reed rather than while threading the heddles.
What I had to do was to remove the lashing cord and then undo the knots in the bouts from the problem area over to the closest selvedge. Fortunately not many. Undoing the knots is a bit finicky, but with the help of a small crochet hook, it’s not too bad.
What makes me angry with myself is not so much my lack of watchfulness. It is that there was a clue that this had happened. A very big clue. And, except for a slight question mark in my mind, I paid absolutely no attention to it.
The clue came when I was tying the overhand knots in preparation for the lashing on. I started at the right and moved to the left. When I got to the left, the warp ends going through the reed did not end up in the same way as they had on the right. On the right, there were six warp ends in three reed openings. On the left there were four warp ends in two openings. They should have been identical since I started in the middle and worked first right and then left as I sleyed.
My excuse is that in my weaving, they rarely come out the same on each side. But there is a reason. The center of my warp is rarely at the center of my reed. This happens at the threading. When I count the number of heddles I need on the right side on each shaft, it never comes out right when I actually do the threading. And this despite the fact that my weaving program, PixeLoom, very nicely does the counting for me. Sob…… But on this warp, it came out right in the threading. The center of the warp was right where it should be. So the sleying should have been identical on each side. I should have stopped to think all of this out and then looked for the reason. But I didn’t.
It is in the nature of my being somehow to be careless in the details of things. It is always my inclination, for example, just to let mistakes stay. Weaving is a great corrective to this tendency. But it is a bit painful!
Related Post: Wool Crackle for Crackle Exchange