Posted by Peg in South Carolina
I made the three dye stock solutions I was low on but that I needed for creating the colors for the 120/2 silk yarn I am getting ready to dye. Sabraset/Lanaset Violet and Sun Yellow and Washfast Acid Magenta. The first and third I generally do not use much of in my dyeing, but, over time, the solutions needed to be replenished. Sun Yellow, because of its weak coloring strength, I go through tons of. Well, liters of….. So now I have the stock solutions I need make the colors I want.
Making dye stock solutions is not my favorite task. It’s not really the danger that the powder poses, except indirectly. I need to do this out of the house/in the garage. Because the garage gets much too hot and humid in the summer, I am not willing to risk storing dye powders there. Nor am I willing to even think about storing anything plastic there. Consequently I need to bring everything out there from inside. And then, of course, bring everything back in after I have cleaned up.
Not my favorite thing to do. And so I drag out the process, which goes something like this:
1. Check formulas to see how much I will need of each dye stock solution. Did this a couple of weeks ago.
2. Check stock solutions to see which ones, if any, need to be replenished. Figure out how much I need to make. Did this a week ago.
3. Gather up the supplies I need and put on a tray. Did this two days ago
4. Prepare garage space and bring out the supplies. Did this before lunch.
5. Get to the gosh darn work of making the solutions and then cleaning up. Did this in the middle of the afternoon.
This kind of dragged-out process is quite typical of my behavior. It does get done, but sneaked in between other activities.
FOR LOVERS OF RED
By the way, if any of you love anything red as I do, do check out Sandra Rude’s latest post, “Fire Warp Beamed.” It is drop-dead gorgeous. And here I am working with a primarily green warp. Sandra also dyes her yarns. They are always beautiful.
Related Post: Making Stock Solutions