Tuesday, November 3, 2009


Posted by Peg in South Carolina

Immersion Dyeing the Warp

The yarn is in the dyepot on the gas range.  At the moment the temperature has reached 160 degrees  and I am giving it 20 minutes to reach 180 degrees.  I carry the thermometer around with me so that I remember to go back and check.  And raise and lower the skein from time to time as well.

The white cord is looped through the skein and tied to the wooden dowel.  I use the wooden dowel to lift the skein up and down in the water so that it will dye evenly.   The red nylon cord visible on the left handle is attached to a thermometer which is in the water.

On the left is my green heavy duty plastic gloves and my timer.  The white basin is where the yarn was soaking overnight and to which the yarn will return when it is dyed and ready to be rinsed and set to dry.

The red-and-white checked fabric is vinyl yardage used to make tablecloths, among other things. 

The pot is stainless steel, but Walmart stainless steel.  That means I cannot let the water get as high as the rivets on the inside of the pot or they will rust out (the rivets are not stainless steel).  Also, the walls and bottom of the pot are thin so I have to watch for scorching.  I think I have an idea that will help, but we shall see.  In any case, I have read about using marbles to keep the yarn off the bottom, so I think I will buy some.

The beams of light are LED beams from my professional range top hood.  The hood is on, getting rid of the heat, humidity, and and any airborne acid from the citric acid I use.

Related Post:  Dyeing the Skein

"Let the Dyeing Begin” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on November 3, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina.


Delighted Hands said...

Ahhh, I have been dyeing today, too. I love the smell of the heated wool, spouse says I am crazy! So what does the fiber you dyeing smell like-isn't it silk? I know that when I washed and ironed a 100% silk garment I used to wear, it had a very distinct smell-not bad just distinct!

Peg in South Carolina said...

I can't say for sure, but it may have been some left-in sericin. There is always a fair amount left in my silk yarn and it smells awful when wet. When dry, it is fine.