Wednesday, June 24, 2009

WEAVING SOFTWARE LUST

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

Someone on the WeaveTech list talked about a piece of weaving software she had purchased recently.  It is called Pointcarre and you can learn about it here.  Also check this site, PointcarreUSA. To read an interesting and illustrated piece published by MCADVision Magazine, go here.

I had heard of Pointcarre before but thought it was really for jacquard weavers or multi-(more than 8) shaft weavers. For  professional weavers whether they worked on their own or in industry. Not for someone like me.  But when I learned how it could be used both to design and show what the fabric would look like when woven, I developed severe software lust.

I quickly learned from the post on WeaveTech that you had to spend two to three days in New York City to learn how to use the program.  Then I knew, not only that the program was horribly expensive, but way beyond anything I needed or even wanted.  Still, seeing the phrase “photorealistic simulations” on their web site did not help this knowledge….  Did I mention that this photorealistic simulation includes the kind of yarn? Sigh.

But they do sell a CDRom of almost 4,000 weaves.  Reading the description suggests it might be useful even to a lowly 8-shaft weaver.  But when the website tells you to contact them to order it, I know it is way to expensive.  It is like expensive clothing, cars, and the like.  If I have to ask the price, I can’t afford it.

Besides, I know this program won’t get the color interactions right either.  I have to actually weave for that……….


Weaving Software Lust” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on June 24, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

No comments: