Friday, June 26, 2009

TO READ

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

KEEPING A PROJECT SKETCHBOOK

Sketchbooks -- Laritza has come up with a good idea for a project sketchbook.  She has set up the things it must be able to do and come up with a solution which I am considering for my own projects.

WHY DO LESS MORE SLOWLY?

The Seven Essential Rules for Slowing Down and Enjoying Life More – this little essay from Zen Habits really got to me, especially the suggestions to do less and eat more slowly.  How in the world can I do less?  Well, I could forget about the bra…………  My choice……..sigh.

If that isn’t enough, I found the introductory page for Zen Habits:  The Beginner’s Guide To Zen Habits  This page consists of links to all  sorts of amazing reading.  So I guess I’m not going to do less after all………

ANALYZING PATTERNS IN ART

Robert Genn has given me much to think about in his essay called Patterns. Though he has written this for artists, I believe there is much there that I can start thinking about in terms of my weaving, especially if I start using my weaving software in ways that better allow me to visualize the pattern of a whole piece.  I have printed this out for a ready reference to questions to ask myself.  And I have copied it into my E-sketchbook as well.

SOCIAL NETWORKING

Social networking is the rage these days, among weavers as well as all sorts of other people.  Keep in mind that both Ravelry and Weavolution are social networking sites.   With this in mind I found a recent post by DoshDosh, Social Media Networking and ROI: How to Maximize Value and Minimize Cost.  For me the title was a turn-off.  But it turned out to be a most interesting read.  If you keep in mind that value and cost do not have to refer to money necessarily, I would definitely recommend this piece.

TRACK BROWSING TIME

If you have Firefox, here is a very cruel extension that seems to work very easily to keep precise track of your browsing time.  Go here if you are interested in downloading it.  No, I have NOT downloaded it……..yet……….  I don’t think I want to…… 

A QUILTER’S CREATIVE PROCESS

I love to read how artists work out their creative ideas in the thinking and planning stages.  Weavers, fiber artists, visual artists, composers.  In this case the artist is quilt artist Carol Taylor.  An interview with her appears on Terry Jarrard-Dimond’s blog and can be read here.

PHOTOGRAPHING WOVEN GARMENTS

I found a rare treat on Daryl’s blog:  a wonderful essay called Photographs with images of Daryl photographing her garments.


To Read” was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on June 26, 2009. ©2009 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

No comments: