Tuesday, October 21, 2008

STILL NOT RIDICULOUS

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

Now I have been playing with violet and orange. I’m still treadling that Orange and violet wefts kind of strange 1,3,2,4,3,5,4,6…………… thing that I showed in the last post. Still not the "ridiculous” that I promised….

One thing I do not like about this treadling is that all the so-called blocks are going to be the same height. No possibility for flexibility there.

On the other hand, I do like the subtle color effects. The two wefts are orange and violet. Each is closely related to the warp color. The orange is on the warm side of the red warp. The violet is on the cool side of the red warp. Clicking on the photo to blow it up will show the effects more clearly.

I can envision possibilities for doing very subtle things with color both with changing colors and with changing color orders and amounts of each. This might be interesting to experiment with on a painted warp. But in that case I wonder if I would want the warp to be more dominant? To achieve that I could make the sett tighter, though that could give me problems with sheds. Or I could use a smaller sized weft yarn.

I also wonder what might happen if I turned the draft? This would include, of course, turning the weft color placement as well.

The purple blob you see in the middle of the warp is a knot in the warp. Since I am almost at the end (it does seem to me that I’ve been “almost to the end” for a long time now….) I’m just going to leave it in. I am just too lazy to cut and attach I new warp yarn and then to add a weight to the warp end next to it.

I would have to do the latter because the back of the warp is held by its loops inserted through the metal back rod. That means that every warp end is secured to the back bar with its neighboring end. So cutting one releases the other. I would have to weight it as well. I’m just too lazy.

"Still not Ridiculous" was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on October 21, 2008. © 2008 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

2 comments:

Taueret said...

i think the ridiculous end of the spectrum is my favourite!

Peg in South Carolina said...

Thank you, Taueret. Sometimes it is the crazy things i try where I don't really care what happens are the things that work the best.