Monday, October 20, 2008

GOLDEN YELLOWS, REDS, AND DARK BLUES

Posted by Peg in South Carolina


I have been slowly weaving away on the last of this crackle warp.  I had said in an earlier post that I was going to do something quite different.  I decided to use golden yellow as the background weft and reds and blues as the pattern Gold and blue wefts wefts. 

In that earlier post the word I used was “ridiculous.”  I thought this was going to be, but it didn’t quite turn out that way.

The results have actually turned out to be quite striking. And, much to my surprise, these experiments have proved to have a great deal of promise.

I had worked hard to get the photo to show the color accurately. I thought I had it, but when I brought it into my blog writer, things changed.

PHOTOGRAPHY ISSUES

The right side appears brighter than the left.  That is because there are windows to the right.  And I do not know how to correct that kind of an issue with my software.

The bottom half of the photo reads fairly accurately.  Where the problems begin is on the other side of the middle, just after the two blocks with first pretty solid purple in the middle and then on the sides. Then the photo just shows either red (totally wrong) or a rather washed-out violet for the areas treadled with blue. What it did not want to do was to show the rather deep violet that occurred when the blue crossed the red. 

BACK TO THE TREADLING

At the bottom I have continued to weave in the style of the earlier experiments.  Of the 6 treadles, I have selected one for the pattern color and thrown that shot twice.

In the first group at the bottom, I have used red, thrown twice, for the pattern.  Immediately above I have reversed the order of the pattern treadles and used blue thrown twice on the pattern treadle.

THINGS CHANGE

Where the more solid color dark blue is visible across the web at about the middle of the woven part of the warp, I have begun something different. I began treadling 3 through 8 but this time alternating gold and blue on each treadle.  First I did a set where I began with gold;  then I did a set where I began with blue.  Then I moved to two treadles with gold followed by one treadle of blue and woven that for a bit and then the two variants.  Then I moved to 3 golds followed by 3 blues, doing that in various treadle sequences. 

Near the end of all this, I ran out of the gorgeous golden yarn and had to use a simple, though bright yellow.  It is clearly much cooler and creates a very different effect.

A VERY DIFFERENT TREADLING

At the very top is a very different kind of treadling.  Instead of treadling pedals 3 through 8, I did an alternation thing: 

1,3; 2,4; 3,6; 5,7;
6,8; 7,3;  6,4.  
Repeat.

I alternated yellow and blue: yellow on 1, blue on 3 and so on.

When I envisioned this, I was thinking that I was just changing the order of the treadling.  What I did not realize was that I was also repeating treadles.  So much for my vision. Still, it did work. 

MORE (A LITTLE MORE…..) SAMPLING TO COME

What I still need to do is to try the first set of treadlings but treadling the pedals in a different order.  That is not going to happen on this warp, however.  There is not enough left and there are some other ideas crying to be tried first.  And I still have to do something “ridiculous.”

NEXT CRACKLE WARP

One thing I know now:  my next crackle warp will have to have a yard at the beginning allotted for sampling.  I have already started designing the warp and have included this in my figuring.  But I have towels and a shawl to weave first.


"Golden Yellows, Reds, and Dark Blues" was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on October 20, 2008. © 2008 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

7 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Peg, this is SO gorgeous. I love what you're doing with crackle!

Dorothy said...

I sympathise with the light problem (although I think your photos are good, and the explanation of the light problem helps to understand what we are looking at). Light causes a lot of problems for me with photography. I have a professional type studio lamp, but don't use it much because it takes ages to get artificial lights set up.

When I had to do studio photography at work we used a couple of lamps and they had to be bounced off reflective white surfaces to get a diffuse light, rather than aimed direct at the subject (we did not use flash). It used to take ages to set up.

I expect you have found, as I have, that flash photography is not the best solution. It's really hard to get a photo that looks like what you see. I'm hoping for a sunny day, or better still, bright but cloudy, to take my latest colour samplers out of doors.

Leigh said...

I really like the yellows in this! A lovely interplay of color.

I empathize about the photography issue. I always take some shots with a flash and some without. Lately I've been preferring the ones with, assuming there isn't any glare. As Dorothy mentioned, I've had some good results in bright, indirect outdoor light. But let's face it, color is just darned tricky to reproduce digitally. Even so, we get the mood of your pieces.

Anonymous said...

Striking colours indeed - I love how this has turned out. You have mined incredible riches from this warp, Peg!

Susan B. said...

You give me inspiration to listen to those "crying" ideas! Lovely play of colors!

Peg in South Carolina said...

Connie and Cally, thank you. Dorothy and Leigh, I never use flash. With flash, it turns out awful. Things work much better if I adjust the settings. Right now working with aperture priority mode seems to work the best. then I can play with the f stops, the color balance and the ISO settings. Sometimes I try the auto color balance and that frequently works well. And yes, Dorothy, bright but cloudy (or early morning) outside is probably the best. Susan, I am glad I have inspired you to listen to your own voice!

JoOwl said...

Peg, you use Paint Shop Pro. There is a way to modify the photo with it - not too difficult - I'd be glad to show you how. You can contact me through www.joowl.com.