Posted by Peg in South Carolina
In the sample weaving that I did at the beginning of the warp, I had tried different treadlings. The one I saw as having the most possibilities was the last treadling. Before I start working in earnest on the warp, I decided to work with the software. And here is the result as displayed in a page from my e-sketchbook.
The image at the top of the page is about half the warp, reduced so as to give a sense of the fabric.
The second image is a blown-up detail to give a sense of what is actually going on. The red wefts are the pattern wefts and they are twice as large as the other wefts, the orange and the blue, which are the binding wefts.
The tieup and treadling are to the left. And finally a photo of the actual fabric.
I used a black warp in the software, but I used the same colors in the weft as I did in the sampling.
How much more garish the drawdown appears than the actual fabric. The black warp plays into the garishness, but even so………. It is really difficult, though probably not impossible, to get the kind of subtlety the fabric displays in the software. The most obvious problem here is that the impact of the smaller binding wefts is far greater in the fabric than it would appear in the computer drawdown. That is why I would never trust choice of colors to the software. Only actual sampling will work there.
I realize now that this used only 4 of the possible 6 treadles that I have available in the tieup. Looking at the tieup on the reproduced page will reveal that. So the next thing to do is to create a version with all 6 treadles next.
Related Post: E-Sketchbook