Monday, December 1, 2008

CRACKLE SHAWL/ART PIECE

Posted by Peg in South Carolina

I have spent the morning going through my carefully annotated sampling. Originally I had thought I was going to be working next with the last group of samples I had woven with gold as the background weft. I had thought I was going to work with the ideas there, but using a painted warp.

As I continued working with the samples my eyes kept returning to one of Sample to use for next piece the earlier samples—the sample in the photo. I did some re-analyzing. In the process my imagination started working on what I would do with the threading to make a wider piece.

Then I figured out two things:

  1. I am ready to weave a major piece
  2. I should begin with a smaller trial piece to explore how to use warp painting.
  3. I will do the major piece first.

So now I am happily busy working the design out.

But I must not forget the towels for our daughter……

"Crackle Shawl/Art Piece" was written by Margaret Carpenter for Talking about Weaving and was originally posted on December 1, 2008. © 2008 Margaret Carpenter aka Peg in South Carolina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Miss Peg. Aside from the obvious reasons for your earlier "resistance," perhaps part of the unconscious side of it, was that your artist self is ready to move on to that big piece! "Enough with the samples already," she cries from within.

How exciting!!
Go for it!
Jane

Peg in South Carolina said...

Thank you for all your encouragement, Jane. I really appreciate it.