Monday, May 19, 2008

PROGRESS ON CRACKLE ART PIECE ONE

art piece 1 partly woven

I am making progress.  Actually I am close to being done.  Two or three more inches of weaving should do it.

REPLACEMENT WARP END

The white headed pin on the right is temporarily holding a replacement warp.  There was a knot in the original warp end so I had to put in a new one.

CONFIDENCE GROWING A BIT

I am not unhappy with the piece.  Visible is the improvement in my selvedges, as I talked about in my previous post.  I am also beginning to understand how color works with this structure and treadling.  This means that next time I can play a bit more with threading variations.

YELLOW A PROBLEM

Right now what I am most unhappy with is the big patch of yellow I am currently weaving.  Instead of keeping the yellow in the same treadles for that inch or so, I think it might have been better to put it in different places and cut the blockiness of the effect.  Blockiness is what I was after right here.   But I don't think it works with the rest of the piece. Either the whole piece has to be blocky or not.  Or perhaps it is just the proportion of yellow that is off. Of course, the piece isn't quite done.......

© 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh Peg,

As I was looking at the piece, I was struck by how the yellow that you have just woven makes this piece look like a sunset or sunrise over water -- that moment between the dark and the daylight, or the daylight and the dark. Twilight.

When you look toward the lower part of the piece, the blues and then those smaller hints of yellow bring to mind water with hints of the setting/rising sun in it.

Gorgeous!!

Weave on,
Jane

Peg in South Carolina said...

Thank you, Jane, for your interesting comments and for your compliment. Actually, what I have found to be a defect is becoming, I think, the basis for the next group of pieces on this warp. We shall see.